Evade! The Ralph Patton Story


Our thanks to Mr. Vianney Bossé of France for transcribing the video, Evade!  The Ralph Patton Story, and sharing it with us. Mr.  Bossé is the great-grandson of Joseph and Alice Goulian, owners of the Hotel Tourne-Bride, who figure in the story. The English language version of the transcription appears immediately below the photo of Mr. Patton followed by the French version.  The video can be viewed at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJ8Oy_lKesw.

Ralph Patton

English Language Transcription

Evade! The Ralph Patton Story (transcript by Vianney Bossé)


No two evaders faced exactly the same challenges or dealt with them the same ways. But Ralph Patton’s experience had much in common with the experiences of other successful evaders. This is his story.

[Ralph Patton, B-17 pilot]

“I’m Ralph Patton, and I was studying for an accounting exam on December 7, 1941 when the Japs hit Pearl Harbor. So, I threw away my books, quit school, and enlisted in the United States Air Force as a flying cadet, as we called them in those days. I was actually called to active duty in August of 42, and I graduated from flying school at Altus, Oklahoma in May of 1943. I ended up as a co-pilot in the B-17 and went overseas in October of 1943 where I was assigned as co-pilot in a crew of 38 in the 94th Bomb Group, the 331st Squadron, stationed at Bury St. Edmunds in southeastern England.

On our 9th flying mission, we were bombing an airfield over near Bordeaux in Southern France (Mérignac airfield, target, January 5, 1944), when we were hit by flack over the target. So, we came off the target, lagging behind the formation, and she came up over the Bay of Biscay and we were about two miles behind the formation when they crossed to the southern coast of the Brest peninsula in France. So, we made a 90° left to try to get away from the anti-aircraft fire and the fighters hit us at the same time, and the entire tail assembly of the B-17 broke off at the tailwheel retracting well. I immediately climbed out of the co-pilot seat. My parachute was under the seat. I snapped it on the harness, dove head first out the escape hatch door, which the engineer and the navigator and the bombardier had opened. Spinning like a top, I decided that I should watch to see if the ground was coming up before I pulled the cord. Well, I couldn’t find the ground, so I pulled the cord anyhow, and ended up with a cord in my hands and a parachute billowing over my head, which was the most beautiful sight I’d ever seen. And I could hear the dogs barking, and I could hear the roar of the FW-190 as it circled me, and I thought sure that he was going to come and take a shot at me or two. Fortunately, he was a pretty good egg, and he let me alone.

The parachute collapsed in a tree and I landed on the ground in… nowhere, nowheresville, because I didn’t know where I was. But in any event, I saw a couple of people standing in the doorway of an old farmhouse, a stone farmhouse, so I went up to them and tried to speak. Of course, they spoke no English, and I spoke no French. By that time, our first pilot and our bombardier came streaming across the fields, so now three of us are together. And the three of us hit off into the woods and we took off our microphones and our May Wests and tried to bury any gear that we thought would give us away. Then we took off cross-country trying to figure out what to do. We decided we’d try to get out of the Brest peninsula and head south towards the Pyrenees Mountains.

Well, the first night, it started to get cold and we watched a farmhouse for about half an hour. We saw two men, obviously farmers, coming in and out of the house (farmhouse of Désiré Géron), and we decided to chance it. We went up and knocked on the door, and the men invited us in. There was a little old lady sitting there, she had been brewing a big kettle of soup over the open fireplace. The fireplace was large, with two seats, one on each side of the fire, so we were able, the three of us, to get up in that fireplace and get nice and warm and cozy. The guy opened a bottle of wine and put some soup on. One of the Frenchmen left, and the other one stayed with us. We couldn’t communicate except by sign languages, and by saying yes, we were hungry or thirsty and so forth.  But, in any event, the man that had left came back in about 20 minutes and led us to another house (house of monsieur Denmat). There they put us up for the night, gave us a map and directed us to supposedly a monastery.

We slept in a field that night and damn near froze, we tried to light a fire and couldn’t get the fire going, and finally we just kept going.  And now we’re walking through a town, and two figures pop up out of the ditch. Well, we thought sure that they were Germans and that the jig was up for us, but as it turns out, it was our flight engineer and the navigator from another ship. So now, we’re five Americans wandering around the French countryside in broad daylight as it turned out. Finally, we came to a little village called Plouray, and as we circumnavigated the town, a little schoolboy was standing in the middle of the road (Lucien Quilliou). It turns out we later learned that the kid was heading back for school after lunch, and when he was late for school, the teacher reprimanded him and wanted to know why he had been late, and he said: “Teacher, I saw five American airmen on the road” (Marie-Antoinette Piriou, school teacher). Well, she was flabbergasted, and so she turned her class over to another teacher and she came looking for us.

In the meantime, we had been picked up by a wounded Frenchman (Pasco & Veilly families, French helpers). He kept us out in the field until it got dark and then came and brought us back to the schoolhouse in the center of town, and they sheltered five of us for five weeks. But in any event, Toni, the school teacher, knew and had contact with members of the resistance, and after five weeks at the schoolhouse, they split us up and moved two of us to a bistro (home of Jean and Francine Viola) and two of us to a hotel (Hôtel Tourne-Bride / Joseph and Alice Goulian, managers of the hotel).

Four weeks later, we got word that we should follow the little Frenchman, and, boy!, we really ran and we got in a truck (Monsieur LeCren) and we went to the little town of Gourin, and we missed the train. Well, he had to keep us over night. This chap was the barber in the town of Gourin, and he gave us a haircut. The next day we caught the train and went to the coast to the town of Guingamp. And then we stayed two nights in a home there (home of Désiré Laurent). The Frenchman (François Kerambrun), in that little gasogene, charcoal-burning truck, picked us up and took us to the northern coast in western France (Plouha), where we waited in a farmhouse, which afterwards became known as La Maison d’Alphonse (La Maison d’Alphonse after destruction by the German Army).

The Maison d’Alphonse was a home owned by Marie and Jean Gicquel on the northern-west coast of France. And we waited there, we did as we were told, it was a moonless night, we grabbed the coattails of the chap in front of us and we followed about two kilometers from the Maison d’Alphonse to a cliff. There were now 26 of us that were headed in this stream in Indian file, along the pathway, down the cliff, and we waited on the beach (Bonaparte Beach). All you could hear was the tide, the waves coming in, but after an hour’s wait, the German coastal defense batteries opened fire and lit up the coast like daylight, and the big boom of the cannons scared the daylight out of us. We thought after all this that the church is now out. But, in any event, the shooting stopped, we waited another hour and a half, and there was a man standing up in the middle of the cliff (Job Mainguy of the Shellburne Line) with a little torch, as the British called it, a little flashlight, and they had various lenses for it. They had a blue lens if everything was okay, they’d put a red lens on if there was danger at the shore.

But in any event, shortly, about 2 in the morning, five little boats came rowing in to the shore and we climbed aboard these little boats. The British sailors put us out, and about two kilometers offshore was anchored a British motor gun boat, and this MGB-502 of the 15th Motor Gunboat Flotilla of the British Royal Navy was a sight to behold. And we climbed aboard the gunboat and headed off in the roar of the diesel engine, both comforted and scared, because we thought sure it would give us away. We evaded them, got back in to Dartmouth, England about daylight, and from thereon, we were sent to intelligence for interrogating and so on.

So, that’s the story. We were locked up for three days, interrogated by British intelligence, engineering intelligence, Air Force intelligence, infantry intelligence, they wanted to know about the bridges, and the fields and the hedgerows and things in Brittany especially.


After his interrogation in England in 1944, Lieutenant Patton returned to the United States. Some years later, he became the founder of the Air Forces Escape and Evasion Society.

French Language Transcription

Le témoignage de Ralph Patton, l’évadé de Bretagne (traduit par Vianney Bossé)

[Voix off]

Aucun évadé de la France occupée n’a rencontré les mêmes obstacles, ou n’y a fait face de la même manière. Mais l’expérience de Ralph Patton a de nombreux points communs avec celle d’autres évadés. Ceci est son histoire.

[Ralph Patton, pilote de B-17]

« Je suis Ralph Patton, et j’étudiais pour un examen de comptabilité le 7 décembre 1941 quand les Japs ont attaqué Pearl Harbor. Alors, j’ai jeté mes bouquins, j’ai quitté l’école, et je me suis engagé dans l’US Air Force en tant qu’élève officier, un « cadet volant », comme on les appelait à l’époque. J’ai été appelé au service en août 42 et j’ai reçu mon diplôme d’école de vol à Altus dans l’Oklahoma en mai 1943. Je suis devenu copilote dans un B-17 et je suis parti outre-Atlantique en octobre 1943, où on m’a assigné une place de copilote dans un équipage de 38 dans le 94ème groupe de bombardement, escadron 331, stationné à Bury St. Edmunds dans le sud-est de l’Angleterre.

Lors de notre 9ème mission de vol, nous bombardions un aérodrome près de Bordeaux dans le sud de la France (aérodrome de Mérignac, cible, 5 janvier 1944), quand nous avons été touchés par des tirs antiaériens au-dessus de la cible. Alors nous avons quitté la cible, un peu à la traîne derrière la formation. Elle a survolé le Golfe de Gascogne et nous étions à peu près trois kilomètres derrière la formation quand ils ont passé la côte sud de la péninsule bretonne en France. Nous avons fait un virage à 90° à gauche pour essayer d’échapper au feu antiaérien et les avions de chasse nous sont tombés dessus au même moment, et tout l’empennage (queue) du B-17 a été arraché au niveau de la roulette de queue rétractable. Je suis tout de suite sorti du siège du pilote. Mon parachute était sous le siège. Je l’ai accroché au harnais, j’ai sauté de l’appareil tête la première par la trappe d’évacuation que le mécanicien et le navigateur et le bombardier avaient ouvert, et, tournant comme une toupie, j’ai décidé qu’il fallait que je regarde si le sol se rapprochait avant de tirer sur le cordon. Et bah, je ne trouvais pas le sol, alors j’ai quand-même tiré sur le cordon et je me suis retrouvé avec un cordon dans la main et un parachute qui se gonflait au-dessus de ma tête, la plus belle chose que j’aie jamais vue. Je pouvais entendre les chiens aboyer, et le rugissement du FW-190 qui me tournait autour, et je me suis dit, pour sûr, il allait venir me tirer dessus. Heureusement, c’était un bon gars, et il m’a laissé tranquille.

J’ai atterri, le parachute s’est pris dans un arbre, et j’étais au beau milieu de nulle part, Pétaouchnok, je ne savais pas du tout où j’étais. Mais quoi qu’il en soit, j’ai vu quelques personnes debout à l’entrée d’une vieille maison de ferme, une longère en pierre, alors je suis allé à leur rencontre et j’ai essayé de parler, et bien sûr ils ne parlaient pas un mot d’anglais, et je ne parlais pas un mot de français. A ce moment-là, notre pilote principal et notre bombardier sont arrivés en trombe par les champs, alors maintenant, on était trois. Et tous les trois, on est parti dans les bois et on a enlevé nos microphones et nos gilets de sauvetage, et on a essayé d’enterrer tout l’équipement qui risquait de nous trahir, puis on s’est mis à battre la campagne en se demandant ce qu’on allait faire. On a décidé d’essayer de sortir de la péninsule bretonne et de se diriger vers le sud des Pyrénées.

La première nuit, il a commencé à faire froid et on observait une longère depuis une demi-heure. On a vu deux hommes, des fermiers, bien sûr, qui sortaient et rentraient de la maison (maison de Désiré Géron), et on a décidé de tenter notre chance. On a frappé à la porte et les hommes nous ont invités à entrer. Il y avait une petite vieille femme assise là, elle était en train de préparer une grande bouilloire de soupe au-dessus du feu de foyer ouvert. La cheminée était grande, avec deux sièges, un de chaque côté du feu, alors on a pu se tenir tous les trois dans cette cheminée et se mettre bien au chaud. L’homme a ouvert une bouteille de vin et a mis de la soupe. Un des Français est parti et l’autre est resté avec nous. On ne pouvait pas communiquer avec plus que des gestes et en disant oui, on avait faim ou soif et tout. Quoi qu’il en soit, l’homme qui était parti est revenu environ 20 minutes plus tard et nous a emmené vers une autre maison (maison de M. Denmat). Ils nous ont hébergé là pour la nuit, nous ont donné une carte et nous ont indiqué la direction de ce qui devait être un monastère.

Cette nuit-là, on a dormi dans un champ et on a bien failli geler. On a essayé de faire un feu, mais il ne prenait pas, et finalement, on a repris notre route. On a traversé un village et deux silhouettes ont surgi du fossé. Et bah, on s’est dit, pour sûr, c’étaient des Allemands et on était cuits, mais en fait, c’était notre mécanicien navigant et le navigateur d’un autre appareil. Alors maintenant, on est cinq Américains vadrouillant dans la campagne française, en plein jour en plus. Finalement, on est arrivé à un petit village appelé Plouray, et alors qu’on contournait le village, un petit écolier se tenait au milieu de la route (Lucien Quillot). On a appris plus tard que le gamin retournait à l’école après son déjeuner, et quand il est arrivé en retard là-bas, l’institutrice (Marie-Antoinette Piriou) l’a réprimandé et a voulu savoir pourquoi il était en retard, et il a dit : « Madame, j’ai vu cinq aviateurs américains sur la route. » Et bah ça lui a coupé le sifflet, et elle a laissé sa classe à un autre enseignant, puis elle est venue nous chercher.

Pendant ce temps, on avait été récupéré par un Français blessé (familles Pasco & Velly, secoureurs français). Il nous a gardé dans un champ jusqu’à ce que la nuit tombe, puis il nous a ramené à l’école au centre du village, où ils ont abrité cinq d’entre nous pendant cinq semaines. Mais quoi qu’il en soit, Toni l’institutrice connaissait et était en contact avec des membres de la résistance française, et après cinq semaines à l’école, ils nous ont séparé et ont déplacé deux d’entre nous à un bistrot (bistrot de Jean et Francine Viola) et deux d’entre nous à un hôtel (Hôtel Tourne-Bride ; Joseph et Alice Goulian, gérants de l’hôtel).

Quatre semaines plus tard, on a appris qu’on devait suivre le petit Français, et on a couru comme des fous et on est monté dans une camionnette (Monsieur LeCren) et on est allé à la petite ville de Gourin, et on a raté le train. Et bah, il a dû nous garder. Ce gars-là, c’était le coiffeur de la ville de Gourin, et il nous a hébergé pour la nuit, nous a coupé les cheveux, et le lendemain, on a pris le train et on est parti pour la côte, à la ville de Guingamp. Et ensuite, on est resté deux nuits dans une maison là-bas (maison de Désiré Laurent) et le Français nous a pris dans cette petite camionnette carburant à l’essence ou au charbon, et nous a emmené à la côte nord de l’ouest de la France (Plouha), où nous avons attendu dans une ferme qui a pris plus tard le nom de Maison d’Alphonse (La Maison d’Alphonse après sa destruction par l’armée allemande).

La Maison d’Alphonse appartenait à Jean Gicquel et était posée sur la côte nord-ouest de la France. Et on a attendu là, on a fait comme on nous a dit. C’était une nuit sans lune, on a suivi le gars en face de nous comme notre ombre et on a marché comme ça sur à peu près deux kilomètres de la Maison d’Alphonse à une falaise. On était 26 maintenant en file indienne le long du chemin à descendre la falaise, et on a attendu sur la plage (plage Bonaparte). On n’entendait plus que le ressac, les vagues qui s’écrasaient, mais après une heure d’attente, les batteries de défense côtière allemandes ont ouvert le feu et ont illuminé la côte comme en plein jour, et le grand boum du canon nous a secoué de peur. On s’est dit qu’après tout ce temps c’était fini. Mais, quoi qu’il en soit, les tirs se sont arrêtés. On a attendu encore une heure et demie, et puis un homme est apparu au milieu de la falaise (Job Mainguy du réseau de Shellburne), avec une petite lampe de poche, une « torche », comme disent les Britanniques, et ils avaient plusieurs filtres en verre. Ils mettaient un filtre bleu si tout allait bien et un filtre rouge s’il y avait du danger sur le rivage.

Quoi qu’il en soit, peu de temps après, vers deux heures du matin, cinq petits bateaux à rames ont accosté le rivage et nous sommes montés dans ces petits bateaux. Des marins britanniques ont pris la mer et à environ deux kilomètres des côtes, il y avait une canonnière motorisée britannique (petit navire armé de canons, « motor gun boat » en anglais), et ce MGB-502 de la 15ème flottille MGB de la Royal Navy britannique, quel spectacle ! Et on est monté à bord de la canonnière et on est parti dans le rugissement du moteur Diesel, à la fois réconfortés et effrayés, parce qu’on se disait, pour sûr, le bruit allait nous faire repérer. On leur a échappé, on est rentré à Dartmouth en Angleterre au point du jour, et à partir de là, on a été envoyé aux services de renseignements pour un interrogatoire et tout le reste.

Alors voilà l’histoire. On est resté enfermés pendant trois jours, à répondre aux questions des services de renseignements britanniques, de l’ingénierie, de l’Air Force, de l’infanterie, ils voulaient tout savoir sur les ponts, et les champs, et les haies et ce qu’il y avait en Bretagne, surtout. »

[Voix off]

Après son interrogatoire en Angleterre en 1944, le lieutenant Patton est rentré aux États-Unis. Quelques années plus tard, il a fondé l’Air Forces Escape and Evasion Society.