The photos below were taken of a display at the 390th Memorial Museum. The museum honors those who served in the 390th Bomb Group and is part of the Pima Air & Space Museum near Davis-Monthan AFB outside of Tucson, AZ. Click on a photo to enlarge it. To enlarge it further, click on it a second time.
A letter from the Secretary of the Caterpillar Club appears in the Summer 1991 issue of the AFEES newsletter, pg. 23.
The following is a letter from the Irving Air Chute Company to evader Lt. John M. Carah advising him that he was being enrolled on the roster of the Caterpillar Club. It appeared on page 45 in Achtung! Achtung! Die Flugfestungen Kommen! (Attention! Attention! The Flying Fortresses are Coming!), Memoirs of WW-II, by Lt. Col. John M. Carah and edited by Warren B. Carah, published by Elbow Lane Books, Brighton, MI, 2006. Our thanks to Warren B. Carah for permitting us to reproduce it here.
Some useful links about the Caterpillar Club are as follows:
- Caterpillar Club Goes Back to 1922 article: Sept. 1998 AFEES Newsletter, pg., 2.
- Caterpillar Club Wikipedia article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caterpillar_Club
- Caterpillar Club: http://www.merkki.com/caterpillarclub.htm
- Caterpillar Club by Ken Wright: http://www.militaryhistoryonline.com/general/articles/caterpillarclub.aspx
- Caterpillar Club: http://www.51squadron.com/CaterpillarClub.html
- Caterpillar Pins (AFEES Newsletter, March 1997, pg. 21: https://airforceescape.org/newsletters/
See also references to the Caterpillar Club in the AFEES newsletters at:
- Caterpillar Club (Caterpillar Assn.) – Spring 1988, pg. 11; Summer 1988, Part 4, pg. 2; Spring 1989, Part 2, pg. 12; Winter 1989-90, pg. 13; Summer 1991, pg. 23 (letter from secretary of club re need for addresses of members); Summer 1989; Spring 2003 (March), pg. 22-23; June 2003 (Summer), pg. 8 (Irvin company continues tradition);
There are more links to be found on the Internet.