The Air Forces Escape and Evasion Society (AFEES) flag, with its distinctive image of a winged boot, is used in ceremonies memorializing members of the anti-Nazi Resistance who aided Allied military personnel and commemorating the Liberation at the end of World War II. This page will be devoted to photos showing where the flag has been a part of the ceremonies. Click on a photo once or twice to enlarge it. Note that the AFEES flag is the blue flag with red trim and the winged boot symbol in the center.
For a history of the winged boot symbol by Claude C. Murray and Ralph K. Patton, click on the following pdf file containing an article on the subject: history-of-the-winged-boot-symbol.
1. May 9, 2015, guide Henriette “Monique” Hanotte with Peter van de Parre, member of the Ligne Comète (Comet Line) Remembrance, greet Don Mills. This was part of the ceremony in Rumes, Belgium and Bachy, France to open the Dans les Pas de Monique (In Monique’s Footsteps) 10 k walk. See below.
2. May 9, 2015, Dirk Vijverman at the Dans les pas de Monique (In Monique’s Footsteps) 10 k walk (below)
3. June 23, 2016. Ceremony at Outer, Belgium (southeast of Ghent and south of Aalst) in memory of the B-17 “To Hell or Glory” and its crew. The B-17 crashed there June 23, 1944. Participating in the ceremony are Dirk Vijverman (l) and Henry “Dutch” Schultz, right waist gunner (r). (See photo below.) Members of the crew listed on the memorial are Daniel J. Mangan (✞), Harvey G. Cox, Herbert I. Cahn, Cory D. Bloudt, Richard T. Ennis, Ray Smith, James W. Philips, Henry J. Schultz, Albert S. Huff (✞), and Ewell M. Riddle.
4. September 16, 2016. Reunion at Kampina Airborne Monument, Boxtel, The Netherlands (see flag below in background). Peter van der Linden is shown right with his latest book on Kampina Airborne 1944.
5. September 16, 2016. Reunion at Kampina Airborne Monument, Boxtel, The Netherlands. Peter van der Linden, author of Kampina Airborne (left), and Dirk Vijverman, AFEES Friend (right), hold the AFEES flag.
6. September 17, 2016, Eerde (near Veghel in North Brabant Province), annual U.S.-Netherlands Commemoration. Children carrying Allied flags assemble for the parade. Behind them is Dirk Vijverman, AFEES Friend, carrying the AFEES flag. (See below.)
7. September 17, 2016, Eerde (near Veghel in North Brabant Province) annual U.S.-Netherlands Commemoration parade to the 501st Airborne Infantry Regiment Memorial. (Carrying the flag is Dirk Vijverman, representing AFEES.) (See below.)
8. At the end of the parade to the 501st Parachute Infantry Regiment at Eerde, The Netherlands. Dirk Vijverman, AFEES Friend, holds the AFEES flag at the memorial (see below).
9. October 23, 2016, inauguration of the Plaque at the Swedish Canteen, Brussels. A representative of the King greets Henriette “Monique” Hanotte and Andrèe “Nadine” Dumon (see below).
10. October 23, 2016, the plaque at the Swedish Canteen, Brussels (below).